From the Walking Access Mapping System (WAMS), the Public Access Area GIS data is being made available to the public to re-use under the Creative Commons 3.0 License. GIS users, developers and the general public are welcome to this information layer as per the terms and conditions below.
The layer can be used as an ESRI map service:
- REST END POINT: http://wams.org.nz/ArcGIS/rest/services/WEBSERVICE
- Metadata for the Public Access Areas layer can be found here.
Public Access Areas Layer
Public Walking Access Areas are derived from the LINZ BDE data. Using key phrases and parcel intents, a series of parcels were extracted from the LINZ BDE data that have a high probability of being accessible by the Public. The parcels were further grouped into a number of categories which best indicated the type of access likely. These categories are:
- Legal Roads - Formed and Unformed
- Public Reserves - Local Authority and DOC parks and reserves
- Conservation - Land administered by DOC (eg, National Parks)
- Crown - Crown land that the public should be able to access, excluded are schools, defence areas, prisons etc.
- Marginal Strips - Land alongside rivers and lakes identified as having a memorial indicating access via a marginal strip
- Hydro Areas - Legal parcels indicating an intent of hydrology, i.e. wide rivers, lakes
- Esplanade - Contains esplanade strips
The Public Access Areas GIS layer is available to use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Licence, to view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nz/
1. NZWAC makes no express or implied warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the data or information, nor its suitability for any purpose. Errors are inevitably part of any database, and can arise by a number of means.
2. NZWAC makes no warranties or representations as to possible infringement upon copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others in the data or information.
3. NZWAC will not accept liability for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages, losses or expenses howsoever arising and relating to use, or lack of use, of the data or information supplied.
4. Care should be taken in deriving conclusions from any data or information supplied.
5. Any use of the data or information supplied should state when the data or information was acquired and that it may now be out-of-date.
For more information, or if you would like to be informed of scheduled downtime of the map services. Please contact us at GIS@walkingaccess.govt.nz.
Other sources of GIS Data