From the Walking Access Mapping System (WAMS), the Public Access Area GIS data is being made available to the public to re-use under the Creative Commons 3.0 License. GIS users, developers and the general public are welcome to this information layer as per the terms and conditions below.
- The layer can be used as an ESRI map service:
- REST END POINT: http://wams.org.nz/ArcGIS/rest/services/WEBSERVICE
- Metadata for the Public Access Areas layer can be found here.
Public Access Areas Layer
Public Access Areas are designed to indicate where the public has a right of access across land. This dataset is derived from a few sources.
- Legal Road Parcel – Formed and Unformed are a download of the New Zealand Road Parcels from LINZ.
- DOC Public Conservation Areas – are a download of the latest DOC Public Conservation Areas direct from DOC itself. This data includes Marginal Strips.
- Reserve Land – parks and reserves
- Esplanade – Contains esplanade strips
- Walkway Easements – Are easements created under our Act
Reserve Land, Esplanade and Walkway Easement layers are derived from LINZ Cadastre information and processed by us.
Layers other than the Public Access Areas are layers sourced from other agencies, this includes LINZ, DOC, Fish and Game along with others.
There has been some recent changes to the layers.
Hydro Areas – a download of the LINZ Hydro Parcel dataset. This has been recently removed from the Public Access Areas as Hydro Parcels do not necessarily indicate public access. For more information please see Access along rivers, lakes and the coast FAQ.
Crown Land – this layer has been recently removed from Our Maps as it does not necessarily indicate public access. For more information please contact us at email@example.com.
For more information on changes in our maps please see our Change Log.
The Public Access Areas GIS layer is available to use under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Licence, to view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/nz/.
1. NZWAC makes no express or implied warranties as to the accuracy or completeness of the data or information, nor its suitability for any purpose. Errors are inevitably part of any database, and can arise by a number of means. This includes information supplied from other parties.
2. NZWAC makes no warranties or representations as to possible infringement upon copyrights or other intellectual property rights of others in the data or information.
3. NZWAC will not accept liability for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages, losses or expenses howsoever arising and relating to use, or lack of use, of the data or information supplied.
4. Care should be taken in deriving conclusions from any data or information supplied.
5. Any use of the data or information supplied should state when the data or information was acquired and that it may now be out-of-date.
For more information, or if you would like to be informed of scheduled downtime of the map services. Please contact us at GIS@walkingaccess.govt.nz.